Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 26 and Day 27: Pumpkin Cornbread and Pumpkin Chili

I think I love you.

(Channeling the Partridge Family...)

This morning,
I woke up with this feeling,
I didn't know how to deal with....

So, I made Pumpkin Cornbread with Pumpkin Chili. Comfort food. Love that feeling of warmth and fullness, food. I heart food. Probably not the healthiest sentiment. Oh well. Happy valentiney food.

Here's what you'll need for the Cornbread (via therecipegirl.blogspot.com):













1/2 Cup ap flour
1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon nutmeg
1 Cup cornmeal
2 Eggs
1 Cup pumpkin puree
2/3 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup veggie oil
1 Tablespoon molasses

Preheat your oven to 400* and butter a 9 inch pan. Sift together the flours, baking powder, cornmeal, and spices. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and molasses. Make a well in your dry ingredients and pour the wet ones, into the well. Mix lightly (like Jiffy, don't overmix) and transfer to your greased pan. Cook for about 30 minutes. Serve warm and with a bit of honey butter.

And here's what you'll need for the Chili:













1 Pound ground turkey
1 Small onion, chopped
1 Clove garlic, minced
2 Cans diced tomatoes
1 Can kidney or black beans
1 Cup pumpkin puree
1 Tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
1 Teaspoon cumin, or to taste
1 or 2 Chipotle peppers
Black Pepper

Cook the ground turkey, onion, and garlic together to brown the meat. If you used the turkey, there shouldn't be much fat to skim off, but if there is, go ahead and drain the meat/onion mixture. Return the pan to the heat and add your 'maters, beans, spices, and puree. Mix well and let simmer on low for about 20-30 minutes. Serve with sour cream and cheese. Wintery, comforty food at it's best.

And now, let's all sing along... I think I love you!

(You KNOW you know the words. Come on!)

Heeeeeeeeey, I think I love you...
So what am I so afraid of...

If you're terrified of singing (like I am) maybe it'll help to have David as you're back up...

Well, at the end of the day, the cornbread gets a C+ from Brett and a C- from me (I am a serious Jiffy fan)... but the chili made up for it! I think I love it... *unabashed head bopping*

2 comments:

  1. David Cassidy probably just Googled himself, and your pumpkin blog came up. He's thinking to himself, "what the...?"
    Oh yea, I watched the Partridge Family. My favorite characters were their manager, Mr. Kincaid, and Danny Partridge, played by the notorious Danny Bonaduce. Their banter was some of the best dry wit in that sitcom. Classic. I just never made the connection with chili before. Now I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dooo love me some Jiffy, but everything still looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete