Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day: Pumpkin Pancakes

I'm easing back into the blogging world today.

It's a snow day here in the metro, and my husband and I are nestled up by the fire in our footie pjs, waiting for the storm of the century to pass.

Aaaaaany minute now, it's really gonna start to snow.

Crickets.

Any minute.

Crickets.

Okay.  Nothing to tell the grandchildren about... but to be fair, it is a bit treacherous out there... 

I always imagine my brother and sister-in-law in Milwaukee, rolling their eyes at our "snow" as they plow their way to work in 10-12 inches. It's just another January day, for them.

But I really feel for their kids, you know... they'll never really know what a snow-day is... what it means to rush to the window, throw open the curtains, and do the Pauly D fist pump in celebration of freedom. They'll never really know what it means to spend two hours pulling out the sled and piling on 15 layers of clothes, to waddle their way to the nearest hill for thirty minutes of exhausting fun... and, when they're finished and having stripped back down to their skivvies, proceed to drive their parents insane. They'll just never know...

Dang winter preparedness.

Anyway, with 40 some odd cups of pumpkin in my freezer, and no good sledding hill within walking distance, I figured today was a great day to jump back on the pumkin' train.

Here's what you'll need for Pumpkin Pecan Pancake.
2 Cups all purpose flour
4 Teaspoons baking powder
3/4 Teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
Dash or two of allspice
3/4 Cup sugar
1 1/4 Cups pumpkin puree (if using canned, use 1 1/2 - 2)
3 Eggs
3/4 Cup milk
3/4 Vegetable oil
1 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla
Chopped pecans to taste

Sift together all your dry ingredients. 

I rarely have the patience for sifting... so a few years ago, I got rid of my large baking sifter and kept this tiny, little, novelty sifter that I found for 99 cents at a kitschy little kitchen store.  So sifting a significant amount of dry ingredient, like so, takes about two days.  But it's totally worth it, ensuring that you get a nice fluffy pancake at the end of the day.

In a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and whisk them together.  When well combined, pour the wet ingredients into the dr,y and stir until "just combined," being careful not to overstir.  You don't want all that sifting, to be for naught.  Fold in your chopped pecans.

Pour by the 1/4 to 1/2 cup full onto your hot griddle, flipping when each pancake begins to bubble. 
I'm not gonna lie... these are good and yummy.  So have yourself a snow-day.  And I hope you know what it means to enjoy throwing back the curtains to see a blanket of snow.

Disclaimer: The photos seem to have uploaded with a really low resolution. I'm still getting used to a new toy I received/won prior to Christmas.... an iPad.  So it might take me some time to figure it all out.  Please bear with me.

1 comment:

  1. YUMMMMMMM!!!! when can i "stop by" for breakfast? ;) just wanted to say how much i enjoy your blog - miss you!

    ReplyDelete