Thursday, May 6, 2010

Good Works on a Thursday

My husband may be in Haiti, distributing medicine to the sick, shoes to small children... providing grief care to the hurting and helping rebuild destroyed schools... all while establishing meaningful relationships with people who need to know that the world still cares...

But I just finished watching DVR'd episodes of Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, and New Adventures of Old Christine. All before 11:00 in the morning.

I don't know... ya know. I just feel really good about what I've done today...
********************

I considered making rice crispy treats this afternoon. Got as far as pulling the marshmallows and rice crispies down from the cupboards, when I decided it was too much trouble. So instead, I took a marshmallow and handful of rice crispies and stuffed them into my mouth at the same time.

In case you're wondering... it's not even close to the same thing.

But I could be the new poster child for American ingenuity. Or laziness. One or the other.

********************
This evening, I went to dinner with Teresa and Jane. They're members of Brett's church... and members of Brett's church, tend to assume that I'm pining away, listening to sappy love songs, crying over terrible romantic comedies, and forgetting to eat... all from loneliness, while Brett is away.

This is soooo not the case. Never once, in my entire life, have I forgotten to eat.

My best friend in high school would forget to eat when she was depressed, heartbroken, or sad. Which, of course, pretty much sums up the teenage years, right. So ya know, she was teeny tiny... always saying things like, "Ugh. I just don't know what to do about Josh. I haven't eaten in days." I used to PRAY for heartache so sever, that it would leave me forgetful and satiated. But alas, though I knew heartache (the dramatic, world-is-gonna-end, teenage kind of heartache)...not once, did I find solace in an empty cupboard.

None the less, I no longer correct people when they assume that I'm sad that Brett's gone. I figure it's usually good for a meal or two. (Totally a joke! I swear!)

So this is Teresa and Jane. Two beautiful women:














And then I got into the picture, and ruined everything:











***********************

I'm going to bed tonight with a splinter in my finger. Only Brett will appreciate the significance and severity of that sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment