Monday, May 3, 2010

"Koman ou ye?" and Other Tuesday Things

"Koman ou ye?"

That's Haitian Creole for "How are you today?"

Well, to start with... I'm a little wired. I just made coffee. I knew I needed half of what I normally prepare... so, as I stumbled from coffee pot to sink and back, in a sleepy stupor, I told myself over and over again... "only five cups of water." What I really should have been saying was, "only five scoops of coffee," because I ended up making coffee with 10 scoops of grinds and five cups of water. WHHOOOOOOOO-WEE! When the hand tremors and overall body shaking stops, I'm gonna get a lot done!

Which is good... because this pretty much sums up my night:













Disheveled.

For weeks, I've been counting down the days until I got to sleep alone. No elbow in my side, no "taking up space that is rightfully mine," no soft nudges throughout the night to silence the snoring... just peace. Smack dab in the middle of the bed, peace.

But things did not go as planned last night. Everything was wrong. The sheets were bunched (he's a "sheets must be tucked in before we go to bed" kind of guy and I, being the free spirit, require that my feet are able to come and go as they please), the temperature was all off, sleeping in the middle wasn't all it was cracked up to be, and as it turns out, I'm the one that's been doing all the snoring. (That's a joke, by the way.)

So the coffee will come in handy this morning. Three cups down...

It's not a bad thing, when your eye twitches, is it?

***********************
Oh the caffeine crash. It'll get cha'.

Mine hit at 11:34, just as I was contemplating doing a load of laundry (funny, how those two things coincided). I was literally half-way down the stairs with an overstuffed basket, when I felt like I simply couldn't move another muscle. My eyes got droopy and I started considering weather or not I could actually fit into the laundry basket I was holding. Suddenly, resting my head on Brett's three day old dress shirt seemed like a pretty decent idea.

And then trouble hit. A "brother" had come, to avenge the sour-cream-and-onion death.


















Yesterday's Lara Croft moment suddenly seemed foolish. I began considering my options. And realized, I'm fresh out of Pringles tubes. This is bad. Real bad. I love Pringles.... and I've got a lot of comfort eating to do over the next two weeks. Hummm.

***********************

I spent the rest of the early evening, making up for my sloth-like nature, by planting some pepper plants. After the alleged murder of Banana... well, I just hadn't had the strength to face the others. Today seemed a perfect day... windy but sunny, with a rain barrel full to it's brim.

If you were to revisit the Banana murder/saga... you would notice that I've been quite sympathetic to Jalapeno... I've always given him the benefit of the doubt, assumed he needed to grieve, used the language barrier as my out.

That was a rookie (gardener) mistake. It won't happen again.

I have reason now, to suspect that Jalapeno is responsible not only for Banana's death, but possibly, Bell's too! The appropriate authorities are looking into it....

Here's how it all went down.

So like I said, it's a delightful day. Sunny and windy, but the ground is still moist and the worms are working overtime. I threw on my flip flops, lathered on the sunscreen lip balm, and headed out to the porch to choose the lucky recipients of today's gardening fervor.

The peppers all raised their pretty little leaves and one by one, I gathered all six plants... carried them out to the garden, and lined them up in the order that they would be planted. It didn't take long for me to notice something curious... there were FIVE jalapeno plants! And honest to goodness, (if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it either) Jalapeno PUSHED Red Bell. Red Bell took quite a tumble but was unscathed.

Bullying aside (though it should be noted, I run a "no tolerance" garden), I was perplexed by the sheer number of jalapenos. Where did they all come from? Is this some sort of conspiracy? Knock off Bell and Banana, so that Jalapeno and his co-horts can rule the rows? Or is it bigger than that? I just don't know... but until I figure it out... Jalapeno and his friends got planted. WITHOUT compost. (Teach them a lesson.)



















He doesn't look so bad, does he? (Always a jalapeno sympathizer. *sigh*)

***********************

Well... I started this day, asking "Koman ou ye?" In a nutshell, I tried to OD on caffeine, I have a family of spiders mad at me, and there are killer jalapenos in my garden. How do you think I'm doing?

On a good note, I received my first email from Brett today:

"we got here, all is well and already it has been a meaningful trip for the whole team..."

He's so good with the words.

1 comment:

  1. I can't be sure, but it would appear that your "friend" is just a harmless jumping spider. Granted, a big sucker, but harmless. We usually coax them onto a piece of paper and carry them out the front door. Then we crush them with the heel of our fuzzy boots (ha). Not really. Glad to see you have finally started putting your plants in the ground. And if you want to get a good night's sleep, you may want to have your last cup of 'super coffee' at around noon. I bet those doggies of yours (one in particular) would love to curl up on the bed with you... that way there would be all the snoring, and sharp elbows and all that you missed last night. Hang in there kiddo.

    ReplyDelete