Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day 13: Pumpkin Biscotti














My Life in Metaphor:

(Note to the males out there - namely, my Dad - this "metaphor" will be referring to under-garments. Specific reference will be made to braziers. So proceed with caution.)

I need to do laundry. But because I've chosen to bake, instead of washing and drying the 10 loads of laundry waiting for me, my choice of undergarments are limited. Don't tell me you don't know what I'm talking about. The granny-pants, the holy socks, the bra you wore back in '87, tucked in the back of the drawer... we've all got that drawer.

This morning, I pulled out that 1987 beauty (who am I kidding... '97... in '87 I was still reading Judy Blume). In a whirl I threw it on and flew out the door. It wasn't until I was 20 minutes into my drive to work, that I realized...the underwire of my bra was poking me. Such realizations do not bode well, for the day.

It continued to poke into my side for six straight hours. At hour six, I finally reached in and yanked that sucker out. Instant relief. This is a metaphor for my life.

But then I was lopsided. You know what I mean, right. So I had to forcibly cut the other underwire out, though it was working perfectly. Needed symmetry. This is a metaphor for my life.

Now I sag. Not a lot... I AM still in my thirties. But a little... and my underwire-free bra is bragging. This is a metaphor of my life.

And so I sit... coffee in one hand, biscotti in the other, sagging for the world to see, wondering why it takes me so long to yank those suckers out when they bother me? I dip one end of my Pumpkin Biscotti in to my coffee and inhale... life is good. Not so much a metaphor, but my reality.




















What you'll need:

3+ Cups all-purpose flour
1 Cup of sugar
1 Teaspoon of baking powder
1 Teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon of nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon ginger
Pinch of allspice
Pinch of salt
2 Eggs
3/4 Cup of pumpkin puree
1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350*. Whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and spices into a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just enough to generally incorporate the ingredients. You may need to add some more flour here... it ought to have a nice crumble to it.

Flour your hands and knead the dough either in the bowl or on the counter. Line your baking pan with parchment paper and lightly grease. Shape the dough into a large log, roughly about 15-20 inches by 6-7 inches. The loaves should be relatively flat, only about 1/2 inch high. Bake for 22-30 minutes, until the center is firm to the touch. Let biscotti cool for 15 minutes and then using a serrated knife cut into 1 inch wide pieces. Turn the oven to 300* and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Cool completely.

Separate the pieces and drizzle with chocolate. (Biscotti may be chewy initially, so don't be afraid to leave it uncovered, overnight, in a dry space.)

I give these an A... my husband gives them a B+. This is a metaphor for my life.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the kind of day we had last week...but our pumpkin exploded instead of getting turned into biscotti. Care if I link to your site from mine to give people a bit of pumpkin hope?

    ReplyDelete