Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day 17: Pumpkin Cake Truffles

Cake balls. Cake truffles. Little drops of heaven. Sweet goodness.

Whatever you wanna call them... they'll respond.

I'm in a bit of a time crunch. So I did that which is deplorable. That which might get me kicked out of the cooking blog-o-sphere. That which causes me to hang my head in shame (but not too heavily)...

I used a cake mix. *gasp*














I know. Let the flogging begin.

Now that you're over it, this is how I got it done (and on a holiday, none the less!).

What you'll need:

1 Yellow cake mix and everything it calls for (like the oil and eggs) but NOT the water
2 Cups of pumpkin puree
1/2 Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 Cups vanilla or buttercream frosting
Dipping chocolate

Bake cake until the top bounces back. Turn the cake out and crumble it up. While it's still hot, add one can of premade frosting or approximately 2 Cups of your favorite homemade stuff. Mix this together until you can't see any of the frosting left. Seal it in an airtight container and let it cool completely; you can even throw it in the freezer if you're getting impatient.

When you're ready and the cake has cooled, shape the cake into balls and throw them back in the freezer. I suggest using a plate, rather than actually throwing them.. but you do whatever tickles your fancy. While they sit in the freezer (and think about what they've done), melt some dipping chocolate.

Now the fun begins! Dip your pumpkin cake balls into the chocolate and let harden. You might want to double dip them for that great, extra crunch!














I give these a B... I think you'll start to see a trend with the B's. I'm beginning to tire of pumpkin. I hate to say it, but it's true. Brett would give these a B-/C+... he's actually more tired of pumpkin, than I. But my Dad gives them a B+... and that makes me smile, on this Thanksgiving eve, as I sit in my parents home with a full tummy, Mom clanking away in the kitchen, and my Dad munching on my Pumpkin Cake Truffles/Cake Balls.... Rest well turkey lovers! And may you dream of pumpkin pie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment