Thursday, November 26, 2009

Day 18: Happy Thanksgiving

No sarcasm. No cynicism.

Just a day of feeling thankful for...

*My husband, my parents, and the family that reminds who I am and where I come from.
*My animals... especially Wywy, Abby, and my old lady bunny, Shuffles.
*My friends, near and far, who promise not to take offense, when they are listed after my animals.
*My relative good health, and even when it's not good, access to doctors and medications.
*My good looks, fat wallet, and perfect smile. (Oh, that's right... no sarcasm.)
*The privilege of working in the church, for a God which I hope, can take all our "being church" in stride.
*For children who, though not my own, I cherish as if they were.
*The ability to laugh and those around me, who see humour in life.
*Our home which protects my head, houses my memories, and feels warm even when I'm not.
*For full tummies and thirst that is quenched.
*For light at the end of every tunnel, no matter how dark they are... because people around me care for me, laugh at me, and hold me accountable.
*For safety.
*For memories that carry strong emotion.
*For a life lived well most days... and all the daily thanksgivings that go unnoticed. The smell of dog breath, the fact that my car starts every morning, a running washing machine, good books, bedtime under a great big comforter, a closet full of nothing to wear, overstuffed chairs, brand new Yahtzee pads, a clean kitchen... Oh, the list is endless.

And in gratitude, I give you Paula Deens Pumpkin Pie. Happy Thanksgiving!














Here's what you'll need:

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese softened
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
1 pre-made pie crust or one of your own making

Preheat the oven to 350*. Precook the pie shell for about ten minutes, or just until it starts to brown.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the sugar and salt, and beat until combined. Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger (I left this out... though I said I was getting tired of pumpkin in my last post, I wonder if it's really all the spices that I'm getting tired of? Ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg. Over and over and over again.), and beat until incorporated.

Pour the filling into the warm prepared pie crust and bake for 50 minutes, or until the center is set. Place the pie on a wire rack and cool to room temperature.

I made this pie early, Thanksgiving morning. It was served at around 3:30ish... and it was gooooooood -- like A- kind of good.

Took the leftovers home and like any thankful pilgrim, the next morning pulled out the pie plate and called it breakfast. Not good. Not good at all -- like D+ kind of not good. The half tub of Cool-Whip piled on top, was great. The pie, not so much.

So if you decide to make this recipe, make sure you make-serve-and-eat it, all in the same day. You'll enjoy the custard-y kind of texture with mild spice, that plays well with the crisp crust and creamy whipped topping. I promise! Happy Thanksgiving Day!

2 comments:

  1. Amen. And yes... the pumpkin pie was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I love pumpkin. Too bad I don't live closer, I could help you get rid of some of those cups.-_Sarah

    ReplyDelete