Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day 16: Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

I must be distracted today. I left the eggs out of my Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread. Made myself an egg-less bread. Your welcome, vegetarians. (Because of course, that's totally what I was going for.)

I'm nervous I guess, about the highly anticipated pumpkin pie... THE pumpkin pie... that I'm bringing to the Thompson's Thanksgiving dinner down in West Plains. (A shout out to my hommies in the WP! Let's get our Thanks-shivel on!)

I shouldn't try to pull that off, should I? Anyway...

Here's what you'll need:

4 Cups all-purpose flour
2 Teaspoons baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
2 Cups sugar
3/4 Cups softened butter
4 EGGS... don't leave these out, okay
1/2 Cup water
2 Cups pumpkin puree
1 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate because it's what I had on hand)
Handful of chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350*. Mix all dry ingredients (except pecans and chocolate) together and set aside. Whip butter and sugar until smooth. ADD THE DADGUM EGGS one at a time until fully incorporated. Add water and pumpkin puree and mix on low until fully incorporated.

Add your dry ingredients and mix until wet. Add chocolate chips. Pour into pans (2) that are greased only on the bottom. I learned today, that if you only grease the bottom of your pan and not the sides, you won't get a "lip" on your bread. Interesting.

Top with a sprinkle of chocolate chips, crushed pecans and a teaspoon of sugar for each loaf. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

This is the picture of the bread still in the pan.














Because I couldn't get it out of the pan. And that's because I only buttered the bottom. But hey, at least my bread didn't have a "lip."

At first taste, I would have given it a B, B-... but this evening, following dinner, I tried it again and the flavours seemed to meld, bumping its rating up to a B, B+. Not bad for an unintentionally eggless bread without a lip.

No comments:

Post a Comment